Amitabh was born on October 11, 1942 in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India, as Amitabh Harivansh Rai Shrivastava. He is known by various names such as Munna, Big B, Angry Young Man, AB Sr., Amith and Shahenshah of Bollywood. He received several popular awards from the Indian government, including 1984 Padma Shri, 2001 Padma Bhushan and 2015 Padma Vibhushan.
|Full Name||Amitabh Harivansh Rai Shrivastava|
|Nickname(s)||Munna, Big B, Angry Young Man, AB Sr., Amith, Shahenshah of Bollywood|
|Profession(s)||Actor, TV Host, Former Politician|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 188 cm
in meters- 1.88 m
in Feet Inches- 6’ 2” 
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 80 kg
in Pounds- 176 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||– Chest: 40 inches
– Waist: 34 inches
– Biceps: 12 inches
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Date of Birth||11 October 1942|
|Age (as in 2018)||76 Years|
|Birthplace||Allahabad, United Provinces, British India (now, Uttar Pradesh, India)|
|Hometown||Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|School||Jnana Pramodhini, Boys High School, Allahabad|
|College/University||• Sherwood College, Nainital, India
• Kirori Mal College, New Delhi, India
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Science|
|Debut||Bollywood Film– Saat Hindustani (1969)
Hollywood Film– The Great Gatsby (2013)
As A Producer– Tere Mere Sapne (1996)
Television– Kaun Banega Crorepati – KBC (2000)
|Political Inclination||Indian National Congress (INC)|
B/2, Kapol Housing Society,
VL Mehta Road, Juhu, Mumbai – 400049, Maharashtra, India
|Hobbies||Singing, Blogging, Reading|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||Civilian Awards
1984: Padma Shri by the Government of India
2001: Padma Bhushan by the Government of India
2007: Knight of the Legion of Honour (France’s highest civilian honour from the Government of France)
2015: Padma Vibhushan by the Government of India
National Film Award
|Controversies||• His name appeared in the Bofors scandal in which he was later declared not-guilty.
• He was indicted for submitting false documents to prove that he is a farmer.
• Stardust imposed a 15-years ban on him during his peak acting years. According to his blog, he brought the idea of National Emergency and ban on Media. So, media took that otherwise and banned Amitabh Bachchan: means no interviews, no mention or pictures, etc.
• In 1996, he had to face a legal battle for organizing Miss World competition inappropriately.
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Parveen Babi (Indian Actress)
• Rekha (Indian Actress)
• Jaya Bhaduri (Indian Politician & Former Indian Actress)
|Marriage Date||3 June 1973|
|Wife/Spouse||Jaya Bhaduri Bachchan|
|Children||Son– Abhishek Bachchan (Actor)
Daughter– Shweta Bachchan Nanda
Daughter-in-law– Aishwarya Rai (Actress)
|Parents||Father– Harivansh Rai Bachchan (Hindi Poet)
Mother– Teji Bachchan, Shyama (Step-mother)
|Siblings||Brother– Ajitabh Bachchan (Younger, Businessman)
|Favourite Food(s)||Bhindi Sabzi, Jalebi, Kheer, Gulab Jamun|
|Favourite Sweet Shop||Jhama Sweets, Chembur, Mumbai|
|Favourite Actor||Dilip Kumar|
|Favourite Actress||Waheeda Rehman|
|Favourite Film(s)||Bollywood– Kagaz Ke Phool, Ganga Jamuna, Pyasa
Hollywood– Gone With The Wind, Godfather, Black, Scarface
|Favourite Singer(s)||Lata Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar|
|Favourite Sports||Cricket, Lawn Tennis|
|Favourite Tennis Player||Novak Djokovic|
|Favourite Destination(s)||London, Switzerland, Saint Petersburg|
|Cars Collection||Bentley Arnage R, Bentley Continental GT, Lexus LX 470, Mercedes-Benz SL 500 AMG, Porche Cayman S, Range Rover SUV, Mini Cooper, Rolls Royce Phantom, Toyota Land Cruiser, BMW 760Li, BMW X5, Mercedes Benz S320, Mercedes Benz S600, Mercedes Benz E240
Note: in April 2019, he sold his Rolls Royce Phantom worth ₹3.5 crore
|Assets/Properties||Movable Assets– worth over ₹460 crore
Immovable Assets– worth over ₹540 crore
Jewellery– worth over ₹62 crore
Vehicles– worth over ₹13 crore
Watches– worth over ₹3.5 crore
Pen(s)– worth over ₹9 lakh
Residential Properties– a 3,175 sqm residential property in Brignogan Plage in France (in addition, properties in Noida, Bhopal, Pune, Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar)
Agricultural Land– a 3-acre plot worth ₹5.7 crore in Daulatpur area of Barabanki district
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 20 Crores/film (As in 2018)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 1000 Crores (as in 2018)|
Interesting Facts About Amitabh Bachchan
- Smokes Amitabh Bachchan ?: No (quit smoking since the early 1980s)
- Does Amitabh Bachchan drink alcohol ?: No (stop drinking since the early 1980s)
- His ancestors belonged to the village Babupatti in Pratapgarh district in Uttar Pradesh.
- His mother, Teji Bachchan, was a Sikh from Lyallpur (now in Faisalabad, Punjab, Pakistan).
- His father, Harivansh Rai Bachchan, was a famous Hindi poet.
- Originally called “Inquilab”, but at the suggestion of Sumitranandan Pant (a poet colleague of Harivansh Rai Bachchan), he was changed to “Amitabh” which means “The Light That Will Never Die.”
- Although his real surname is “Srivastava”, his father replaced him with “Bachchan” because his father Harivansh Rai gave up the surname “Shrivastava” in protest against the caste system in India.
- His mother was interested in theater and was even offered a feature film role, which she later rejected and preferred her domestic duties.
- During his college days he played plays.
- When he was young, he wanted to become an engineer and wanted to go to the Indian Air Force.
- During his college years he was a good athlete and won the 100, 200 and 400 meter races. He also won a boxing championship at the Sherwood in Nainital.
- In 1983, his left hand was burned while Diwali.
- Amitabh, known for his baritone voice, was once rejected by All India Radio.
- Prior to his acting debut in “Saat Hindustani,” he made his film debut as speaker in the National Award-winning film “Bhuvan Shome” (1969) by Mrinal Sen.
- For his role as a doctor in the film Anand from 1971, he received his first film award for Best Supporting Actor.
- He shared the screen with his future wife Jaya Bhaduri for the first time in the film Guddi (1971); in which he was a guest.
- He became famous after the 1973 movie Zanjeerby Prakash Mehra. in which he played the role of Inspector Vijay Khanna. This film nicknamed him “Angry Young Man,” and his appearance in the film is also considered one of Bollywood’s most acclaimed performances.
- Before the success of “Zanjeer” he was part of 12 consecutive flop movies.
- He reportedly received 1 lakh for his role as Jai in the legendary Indian film Sholay (1975).
- On July 26, 1982, he suffered an almost fatal injury while shooting Coolie on the University campus in Bangalore. He was also clinically declared dead by the doctors for eleven minutes until he was given a life-saving injection of adrenaline into his chest.
- After the Coolie incident, he was diagnosed with Myasthenia gravis (a long-term neuromuscular disorder that leads to varying levels of muscle weakness).
- In 2017, in one of the episodes of “Kaun Banega Crorepati” (KBC), he reported on his liver inflammation in hepatitis B. He said he had lost 75% of his liver due to the late diagnosis of the disease he had contracted after having received blood transfusion the coolie accident. He also said that he was infected with tuberculosis (TB) on the KBC set in 2000. After proper treatment, he is now free of tuberculosis (TB). Amitabh was also named UNICEF Ambassador of the Hepatitis B Awareness Campaign.
- In 1984 he took a break from acting and entered politics to support his friend Rajiv Gandhi. He also fought for the Allahabad seat at the 8th Lok Sabha election against N. Bahuguna, winning with the highest profit margin in the history of the general election (68.2% of the vote).
- After three years in politics, he resigned and described politics as a dead end.
- According to reports, his friend Amar Singh, when his company failed ABCL (Amitabh Bachchan Corporation), had helped him financially, whereupon Amitabh began supporting Amar Singh and his Samajwadi Party party.
- For his role as Mafia Don in the film Agneepath of 1990, he won his first national film award for best actor.
- After the box-office error of his film Insaniyat (1994) he was not seen in any movie for 5 years.
- In 1996 he founded his film production company Amitabh Bachchan Corporation Limited (ABCL). ABCL was also the main sponsor of the Miss World beauty contest in Bangalore in 1996, but lost millions.
- His career and celebrity were revived in 2000 when he made his television debut with a game show – Kaun Banega Crorepati (KBC).
- In June 2000, he became the first living Asian whose statue was modeled at the London Madame TussaudsWax Museum.
- He can write equally well with both hands.
- On September 24, 2019, the Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadek announced through a tweet that Mr. Bachchan would receive the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Prize. The award was presented in the year in which Bachchan celebrated its Golden Centenary since its 1969 debut with Khwaja Ahmad Abbas’ saat Hindustani