D. D. Lapang or Dr. Donwa Dethwelson Lapang is an Indian politician who is the chief minister of Meghalaya. In his political career, he was in office four times. He was born on April 10, 1934 in the village of Nongjri in Ri Bhoi, Meghalaya, India. He is 84 years old.
|Full Name||Dr. Donwa Dethwelson Lapang|
|Famous For||Being the Chief Minister of Meghalaya 4 times|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 168 cm
in meters– 1.68 m
in feet inches– 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 80 kg
in pounds– 175 lbs
|Political Party||Indian National Congress|
|Political Journey||• 1972: Contested as Independent Candidate in the Legislative Assembly
• Election from Nongpoh L.A. Constituency and won as MLA.
• 1978: Became Minister of State including Cooperation, Jails, Education and Civil Defence.
• 1979: Became Cabinet Minister including Health and Family Welfare, Labour, Information & Public Relations.
• 1988: Deputy Minister of Home.
• 1992-1993: Chief Minister of Meghalaya
• 1993-1995: Chairman State Planning Board
• 1995-1997: Chairman, Commission on Resources Mobilization
• 1998-2003: Served as Deputy Chief Minister
• 2003-2006: Chief Minister of Meghalaya
• 2007-2008: Chief Minister of Meghalaya
• 2009-2010: Chief Minister of Meghalaya
|Date of Birth||10th April, 1934|
|Age (as in 2018)||84 Years|
|Birthplace||Nongjri village, Ri Bhoi, Meghalaya , India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Aries|
|Hometown||Nongjri village, Ri Bhoi, Meghalaya , India|
|School||Shillong Government High School|
|College/University||St. Anthony’s College, Shillong|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelors in Arts (B.A)|
|Address||Pahamsohthri, P.O & P.S Nongpoh Ri. Bhori Dist Meghalaya|
|Girls, Affairs, and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Amethyst Lynda Jomes Blah (Journalist)|
|Children||Son– 1 (Name Not Known)
Daughter– 1 (Name Not Known)
|Parents||Father– Donwa War (Tailor)
Mother– Name Not Known (Tea Seller)
|Car Collection||Ford Endeavour, Fortuner, Scorpio,Cheverol Optra|
|Assets/Properties||Deposits in Banks: 75 Lakh
Jewellery: 3 Lakh
Agricultural Land: 3 Lakh
Non Agricultural Land: 60 Lakh
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹2 Crore|
Interesting Facts About D. D. Lapang
- Does D. D. Lapang smoke?: Not known
- Does D. D. Lapang drink alcohol?: Not known
- His father died when he was 5 years old.
- After his father’s death, he helped his mother sell tea at the Nongpoh market, the constituency from which he was later elected as an MLA.
- His life changed when he met Rev. S Mallai, a priest who asked his mother to allow him to take the little boy to a nearby village, Umroi, to raise him.
- He also worked as a road worker.
- He did a lot of jobs before he became a politician. He served as a school teacher for 5 years. He also worked for the Assam Civil Secretariat and was then promoted to typing assistant to the lower division. He also worked as a sub-inspector for schools for 10 years.
- In 1972, he entered politics and participated in the legislative assembly of the Nongpoh L.A. constituency. He even won as an MLA.
- He was then Prime Minister of Meghalaya four times.
- He resigned from the Congress party in September 2018 and claimed that the Indian National Congress did not treat high-ranking party members well.