Deepak Chopra is one of the leading mind-body-spirit gurus. He wants to convey the benefits of incorporating meditation and a healthy lifestyle to increase inner happiness.
Deepak Chopra was born in 1947 in New Delhi, India. He attended the All India Institute of Medical Sciences and studied Western medicine. In 1968 he came to America and started working in a hospital in New Jersey. This led to a successful medical career, where he became Chief of Staff at New England Memorial Hospital. He also built a growing private doctor’s office. During that time, Deepak Chopra said he smoked a pack of cigarettes every day and also drank a lot to calm his nerves. He became increasingly uncomfortable with his attitude to life and became aware of the limitations of Western medicine. He felt that something was missing in his approach to medical care. For this reason, he became increasingly interested in Ayurvedic medicine, which emphasizes a more holistic approach to medical care.
|Full Name||Deepak Chopra|
|Profession(s)||Alternative Medicine Advocate, Public Speaker, Writer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 178 cm
in meters– 1.78 m
in feet inches-5’ 10”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 85 kg
in pounds– 187 lbs
|Date of Birth||22 October 1946|
|Age (as in 2017)||71 Years|
|Birth Place||Delhi, British India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Libra|
|Hometown||New Delhi, India|
|School||St. Columba’s School, New Delhi|
|College||All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||Graduation in Medicine|
|Debut||Writing: Creating Health (1987)|
|Family||Father-Krishan Chopra (Cardiologist)
Mother– Pushpa Chopra
Brother– Sanjiv Chopra (Professor at Harvard Medical School)
Sister– Not Known
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Children||Son– Gotham Chopra (American Author, Filmmaker & Entrepreneur)
Daughter– Mallika Chopra (American Author & Entrepreneur)
|Net Worth||$80 million (2014)|
Interesting Facts About Deepak Chopra
- Does Deepak Chopra Smoke ?: Not known
- Does Deepak Chopra drink alcohol?: Not known
- He was born and raised in New Delhi.
- He studied medicine in India before emigrating to the United States in 1970 for his medical practice in internal medicine and endocrinology.
- In 1970, he had to travel to Sri Lanka to attend the American Medical Association exam, which was required for practicing in the US, as the Indian government had forbidden its doctors from attending this exam.
- In 1980 he became Chief of Staff at the New England Memorial Hospital (NEMH).
- In 1985 he was heavily influenced by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and engaged in the Transcendental Meditation (TM) movement. He then became founding president of the American Association of Ayurvedic Medicine and medical director of the Maharishi Ayur-Veda Health Center in Lancaster, Massachusetts.
- In 1993, his book Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Aging, and his friendship with Michael Jackson brought him an interview about The Oprah Winfrey
- This interview was both negative and positive for his life. On the one hand, he sold 400,000 copies of his book by the end of this interview week, on the other hand, the Maharishi National Council of the Age of Enlightenment instructed TM Centers in the United States not to promote Deepak Chopra and his name books from the literary and health centers of the movement away.
- He is also Associate Professor in Marketing at Columbia Business School, New York and Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University.
- Since 2004, he has been a board member of Men’s Wearhouse, a men’s clothing retailer.
- In 2005, he demanded $ 25,000 to $ 30,000 for his only lecture, and was named Senior Scientist at The Gallup Organization in the same year.
- In 2006 he founded Virgin Comics with his son Gotham Chopra and Richard Branson (Entrepreneur).
- In 2009, he founded the Chopra Foundation, a tax-exempt 501 (c) organization that collects donations to promote and explore alternative health care, and in 2014 he founded ISHAR (Integrative Studies Historical Archive and Repository), a free online library of Integrative Studies provide open access to all scientific aspects of the mind-body theme.
- From 2014, he estimated his net worth at $ 80 million.
- In 2016, he was promoted from an assistant professor to a full professor at the University of California at San Diego’s Department of Family Medicine.
- In 1998, he received the satirical Ig Nobel Prize in Physics for “his unique interpretation of quantum physics in terms of life, freedom, and the pursuit of economic happiness.”
- In 2001, ABC News aired Deepak Chopra, a show segment on distance healing and prayer, in which he said that “there is a realm of reality beyond the physical, where we can actually influence each other remotely” , He was shown how, with his alleged mental powers, he relaxed a person in another room whose vital signs were plotted in diagrams that showed a correspondence between his periods of concentration and the subjects’ phases of relaxation. After the broadcast, 90% of viewers in a survey believed in distance healing.
- He was referred to as “America’s most prominent spokesman for Ayurveda.” He treats his patients to the placebo reaction and states that the placebo effect is a true medicine because it triggers the body’s own healing system.
- He has written 80 books, 21 of which were on the New York Times Bestsellers’ list and translated into 43 languages.
- His book – The Seven Spiritual Success Laws – was on the New York Times bestseller list for 72 weeks.