Meena Kumari was born on 08.01.1933 in Mumbai in the Indian state of Maharashtra. She was an Indian film actress, singer, poet, writer and comedian known for her work in the Bollywood industry.
|Real Name||Mahjabeen Bano|
|Nickname(s)||Meena Kumari, Tragedy Queen|
|Profession(s)||Actress, Singer, Poetess, Costume Designer|
|Date of Birth||1 August 1932|
|Birthplace||Dadar East, Bombay, British India (present-day Mumbai, India)|
|Date of Death||31 March 1972|
|Place of Death||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Age (at the time of death)||39 Years|
|Death Cause||Liver Cirrhosis|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Leo|
|Hometown||Dadar East, Bombay, British India (present-day Mumbai, India)|
|Debut||Film (actress): Leather Face, also called Farzand-e-Watan (1939)
Film (Playback Singer): Bahen
|Hobbies||Singing and Dancing|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Best Actress Filmfare Award for the movie Kaajal (1966)
• Meena Kumari has won several awards at the Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Awards (BFJA)
|Controversy||Meena Kumari’s husband Kamal Amrohi is said to have uttered the three dreaded words, “Talaq, Talaq, Talaq,” in a fit of anger. Later Amrohi is said to have regretted his decision of giving Meena Kumari the triple talaq. He wanted to remarry Meena but Religious Leaders forbid them to do so before Nikaah Halala was performed. Meena is said to have performed the Nikaah Halala with Amanullah Khan (Zeenat Aman’s father), and then returned to Kamal Amrohi.|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Marriage Date||14 Feburary 1952|
|Parents||Father– Master Ali Bux (a veteran of Parsi theater, musician, poet)
Mother– Prabhawati Devi; also known as Iqbal Begum (dancer)
Sister– Khursheed Bano
Interesting Facts About Meena Kumari
- Did Meena Kumari smoke?: Not known
- Did Meena Kumari drink alcohol?: Yes
- Meena Kumari’s father was Muslim and her mother Christin.
- The grandmother of Meena Kumari was the daughter of the younger brother of Rabindranath Tagore.
- Meena began working as a child actress with director Vijay Bhatt at the young age of 4 because of the bad financial situation of her family.
- Meena Kumari’s real name was Mahjabeen Bano, and people lovingly called her Baby Mahjabeen.
- Mahjabeen Bano was known as Meena Kumari in 1946 by the movie Bachhon Ka Khel when she was 14 years old.
- Her mother died in March 1947 of a prolonged illness.
- Meena Kumari’s first films were based on mythological stories such as Hanuman Pataal Vijay, Veer Ghatotkach and Shree Ganesh Mahima.
- She was praised for her role as Gauri in the 1952 film Baiju Bawra.
- Meena Kumari was paired with Pradeep Kumar in the 1960s and was considered the best on-screen couple of the time. They gave eight super hits in a row.
- Meena Kumari has collaborated with various Bollywood actors such as Dilip Kumar, Rajendra Kumar, Raj Kumar, Ashok Kumar, Dev Anand, Dharmendra and others.
- On the sets of Tamasha Meena Kumari met the filmmaker Kamal Amrohi and soon they were romantically involved.
- On February 14, 1952, they tied the knot. This was Kamal’s third marriage.
- She became known as the Tragedy Queen for her turbulent life.
- Her younger sister was married to the legendary comedian Mehmood.
- Meena and Kamal had problems in their marriage. Because of these differences, Meena got into an affair with Dharmendra, who was a fighter in the industry at the time. Meena helped him in his days of struggle. It is said that once Dharmendra beat her, causing them to grow apart and Meena indulging in alcohol from depression.
- In 1972 Kamal Amrohi directed the film Pakeezah starring Meena Kumari. The completion of the film took 17 years.
- Three weeks after the release of Pakeezah, Meena was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis and died on March 31, 1972 at the young age of 39.