Somnath Chatterjee (July 25, 1929 – August 13, 2018) was an Indian politician who had been associated with the Indian Communist Party (Marxist) for most of his life, although he had been an independent independent in his last decade. From 2004 to 2009 he was spokesman for the Lok Sabha (House of the People).
|Real Name||Somnath Chatterjee|
|Famous For||Being the Speaker of Lok Sabha|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 178 cm
in meters– 1.78 m
in feet inches– 5’ 10”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 90 kg
in pounds– 200 lbs
|Political Party||CPI (M), 1968-2008|
|Political Journey||1968: He became a member of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) or CPI(M)
1971: He became a Member of the Lok Sabha by contesting as an independent, supported by CPI (M)
1984: He lost the election to Mamata Banerjee from the Jadavpur Lok Sabha constituency
1986-1989: Member of a Joint Committee on Lok Pal Bill, Member of a Joint Committee on Prasar Bharati Bill
1989: He became the leader of his party in the Lok Sabha
2004: He was elected as the Speaker of the 14th Lok Sabha
2008: He was expelled from the CPI (M)
|Date of Birth||25 July 1929|
|Date of Death||13 August 2018|
|Place of Death||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Age (at the time of death)||89 Years|
|Death Cause||Heart Attack|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Leo|
|School||Mitra Institution School|
|College/University||Jesus College, University of Cambridge. U.K|
|Educational Qualification||Masters in Arts (Law)|
|Address||P-514 Raja Basanta Roy Road, Kolkata|
|Hobbies||Digital Art, Gardening and Reading|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||1996: Outstanding Parliamentarian Award
2013: Living Legend Award in Bharat Nirman Awards
|Controversy||He rolled into a controversy in 2005 after he issued a statement on the Supreme Court orders directed to the vote of confidence in the Assembly of Jharkhand. He said that the Supreme Court was encroaching on the right of the Legislature by issuing orders on the proceedings of the Jharkhand Assembly. Bharatiya Janata Party heavily criticised his remark and supported the Supreme Court’s decision.|
|Girls, Affairs, and More|
|Marriage Date||7 February 1950|
|Children||Son– Pratap Chatterjee
Daughters– Anushila Basu and 1 more
|Parents||Father– Nirmal Chandra Chatterjee (Lawyer)
Mother– Binapani Debi (Homemaker)
|Siblings||Brother– Debnath Chatterjee
|Assets/Properties||Deposits in Banks: ₹14 Lakh
Bonds, Debentures, Shares: ₹3 Lakh
Jewellery: ₹80 Thousand
Total Value: ₹27 Lakh
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹1 Crore|
Interesting Facts About Somnath Chatterjee
- Did Somnath Chatterjee smoke?: No.
- Did Somnath Chatterjee drink alcohol ?: Not known
- His father was a very well-known lawyer in British India. He founded and founded the Akhil Bharatiya Hindu Mahasabha and was the one-time president of the party.
- He started his career as a lawyer by practicing at the Calcutta Supreme Court.
- He then entered politics and became an integral part of the CPI (M) in 1968.
- After the death of his father, he was nominated for the mid-term election in 1971.
- He won the elections and became a member of the Lok Sabha. He won 9 consecutive elections, but then lost to Mamata Banerjee in 1984.
- From 1989 to 2004 he was the leader of his party for 15 years.
- In 2004 he won the elections and became a member of the 14th Lok Sabha.
- On June 4, 2004, he was appointed spokesman for the 14th Lok Sabha
- In 2008, he was expelled from the party for reasons of compromising party ethics. In July 2008, the party decided to vote against the government in the decisive vote of confidence, but Somnath was not ready, and the party therefore decided to expel him.
- Chatterjee said after his expulsion: “One of the saddest days” of his life.
- On August 13, 2018, he died of a heart attack in a private hospital in Kolkata. After his death, her daughter Anushila Basu said that his family would not allow CPI (M) to put their flags on his body.