Thomas Jeffrey Hanks was born in Concord, California, to Janet Marylyn (Questioner), a hospital worker, and Amos Mefford Hanks, a hiking cook. His mother’s family, originally called “Fraga”, was completely Portuguese, while his father was predominantly of English descent. Tom grew up in a “broken” family. After his parents divorced, he moved a lot and lived with a number of stepfamilies. No problems, no alcoholism – just a confused childhood. He has no acting experience in college and attributes the fact that he could not be cast in a college play with the actual beginning of his career. He went downtown and auditioned for a play, was invited to Cleveland by the director of that play, and that’s where his acting career began.
|Full Name||Thomas Jeffrey Hanks|
|Nickname(s)||Tom Hankies, America’s Dad|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 183 cm
in meters– 1.83 m
in feet inches– 6’
|Eye Color||Moss Green|
|Date of Birth||July 9, 1956|
|Age (as in 2019)||63 Years|
|Birthplace||Concord, California, U.S.A.|
|Hometown||Concord, California, U.S.A.|
|School||Skyline High School, Oakland, California.|
|College/University||California State University, Sacramento|
|Educational Qualification||Majors in Drama|
|Debut||Film: He Knows You’re Alone (1980)
TV: Bosom Buddies (1980)
|Ethnicity||Mixed (Portugese and American)|
|Political Inclination||The Democratic Party of U.S.A |
|Hobbies||Reading, Collecting Vintage Typewriters|
|Awards, Honors, Achievements||Academy Awards:
• 1994: Best Actor (Philadelphia)
Golden Globe Awards:
• 1989: Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy (Big)
• 2014: Kennedy Center Honors Medallion
|Girls, Affairs, and More|
|Marriage Date||April 30, 1988|
|Wife/Spouse||Samantha Lewes (1978-1987) Actress
Rita Wilson (1988-Present) Actress
|Children||Sons– Chet Hanks, Colin Hanks, Truman Theodore Hanks
Daughter– Elizabeth Ann Hanks
|Parents||Father– Amos Mefford Hanks
Mother– Janet Marylyn Frager
|Siblings||Brothers– Jim Hanks, Larry Hanks
Sister– Sandra Hanks
|Food||Gyro, Japanese Cuisines|
|Movie(s)||The Godfather, Elephant, Looper, Fargo|
|Book||In Cold Blood|
|Baseball Club||Cleaveland Indians|
|NFL Team||Oakland Raiders|
|Cars Collection||Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Chevy Tahoe, Toyota Prius|
|Net Worth (approx.)||$350 Million (as per 2018)|
Interesting Facts About Tom Hanks
- Does Tom Hanks smoke ?: Yes
- Does Tom Hanks drink alcohol ?: Yes
- He was only 4 years old when his parents divorced. Jim was raised by his mother, while Tom, Larry and Sandra were raised by his father.
- His family moved a lot in his childhood, but eventually settled in Oakland.
- He emigrated to California State University in Sacramento after enrolling at Chabot College in Hayward, California to pursue acting.
- In 1977 he received an internship offer in Lakewood, Ohio from the Great Lakes Shakespeare Festival. He finished his studies and accepted the offer.
- In 1978 he won the Best Actor Award for his performance as “Proteus” in Shakespeare’s “The Two Gentlemen of Verona” in the Cleveland Critics Circle.
- In 1979 he moved to New York with the dream of performing at the Broadway Theater.
- He made his on-screen debut with a low-budget horror film; He knows that you are alone.
- In 1982 he appeared on the TV show Happy Days. Ron Howard, his co-star on the TV show, was impressed by him and offered to play a supporting role in the comic book Splash. The film was a huge success and Tom stepped into the spotlight.
- In 1988, he played the role of a 13-year-old boy trapped in the body of a 35-year-old man in the film “Big”. The film was a huge success and its performance was praised by everyone.
- In 1993 he made his career breakthrough with the film Philadelphia. He won the Oscar for the film’s best actor.